What really matters in one's youth ?

When you are in your 40s and 50s and you think back to your younger days, what 's really important, what is it that matters the most in those memories?
Is it the time you spent studying or is it the time you spent life in other ways? With friends, doing things with your hands or the activities with family.

If the current outcome of your life is success and happiness borne out of that time mugging away, perhaps that study may seem important but is it what that matters when you recall that life. Do you wish you had lived life a little differently and derived more enjoyment from it, exploring more than you had done before.

So what really counts?

There's no turning back the clock, but I can use my lessons for my kids. As I look at my kids now, and even as  I encourage them ( nag) to study etc etc, I also want them to have more to remember of this time in their life besides the school stuff. Sure grades are important. I want them to ensure they are doing their best  and yet I want them to have more (not materially). When I look back I recall my study days mostly. I don't think I really experimented and lived much in that sense, nothing in particular that stands out that I can recall and truly say that was good or fun to do. Shouldn't there be more and isn't youth the only time for that.

And so I want that for the kids, something more and yet not at the total sacrifice of study time.
Balance is not always easy in today's competitive society.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Talking about pressure

Time to regroup.