Triangle to peace....

Lisa Earle Mcleod writes a book that makes a lot of common sense.  While we have always been thought to tolerate and compromise in relationships to keep the peace so to speak, she has added an interesting perspective which is not compromise but to listen and take in the opposing view and combine it with yours and output a result that is far superior from the original thoughts. It  keeps the peace of the situation, with the other party and within ourselves too.

What it leaves is no baggage, no residual resentments and no bad blood. It opens new thought trends and moves one out of the box where new opportunities abound.


So life doesn't have to be complicated, we just allow it to get that way and wallow in it. The solutions and alternatives are there, we need to avail ourselves of them.

It's about changing your immediate response in a conflict situation.  Hard!.  Our usual communication and work process itself takes tweaking.  In our fast track lives, slowing down a tad in order to do this is an exercise that requires meditative action. Tougher !. 

Basic skills of thorough listening are quite absent with the amount of information passing through our hands and brains. Hence the friction in meetings and stress in arriving at satisfactory-to-all outcomes. 

It's a good read for me, the stubborn (my nemesis for now), the righteous, the myopic, the moderator, the quarrelsome(same nemesis) and the leader.  I have a colleague I'm always (everyone else seems too) bumping heads against, she 'll be the best person for me to practice this on.  .

I especially like the idea that I have a reptilian portion of brain left in me, that explains alot ...:).

Comments

A very powerful post. I woul dlove to practise something like that myself. One of the things I have to learn is to let go. I've got quite good at it but sometimes the old Scorpio comes back and... well, it doesn't make for a pretty picture.

Good luck with your colleague.

Greetings from London.
Helen Ginger said…
I suspect it will take a lifetime of practice to master that knee-jerk reaction we all have when we first hear something we disagree with.

Popular posts from this blog

Talking about pressure

Time to regroup.